Gary L. Brown
10360 W. State Road 84
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
Tel: (954) 370-9970
Gary Brown is a Partner in Kelley Kronenberg’s Fort Lauderdale office and is the Head of the firm’s Construction Practice Group. Gary focuses his practice on complex commercial and general business litigation. He is Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Construction Law.
Overseeing the firm’s construction practice, Gary assists businesses in both complex and routine matters with substantial experience in construction-related issues. Gary is well versed in handling matters related to contract drafting and negotiation, dispute resolution, Florida’s construction lien law, payment and performance bond claims, construction and design defect claims, delay, inefficiency, and acceleration claims, and insurance/coverage disputes. He has tremendous experience handling construction matters in state and federal, trial and appellate courts, throughout Florida and has conducted numerous trials and arbitrations to a successful conclusion for his clients.
Gary also represents municipalities and local governments in all aspects of public works projects including procurement documents, bid protests, and construction and design agreements.
In 2015, Gary published the first edition of a book with the Daily Business Review (an ALM Media company) titled Florida Construction Defect Litigation. Now in its fourth edition (2019), the book addresses the legal framework surrounding construction defect claims including typical claims and defenses, contractual considerations, standards of care for contractors and design professionals, the applicability of insurance and surety bonds, the role of experts, arbitration of claims, the keys to successful mediation of construction disputes, and finally, the proper measure of damages in defect cases. In addition, Gary is an adjunct professor at Nova Southeastern University’s Shepard Broad College of Law where he teaches a course on Construction Law.
- Successfully represented large institutional owners, municipalities, general contractors and major subcontractors in the prosecution and defense of multimillion-dollar wrongful termination, construction defect, design defect, and insurance coverage claims, as well as bid protests on multimillion-dollar public works projects.
- Successfully represented privately held companies in shareholder derivative suits over corporate restructuring and sale of company shares.
- Successfully represented a local title company in defense of multi-million dollar claims by a national institutional lender for an alleged loan-kiting scheme.
- Author, Florida Construction Defect Litigation 2019, Miami Daily Business Review, (originally published 2015)
- Managing The Risks of Emerging Technologies, Law360, July 9, 2018
- Florida’s Construction Defect Statute Undergoes Significant Changes in 2015, Mondaq, March 16, 2016
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, “Construction Litigation” Category, 2010 -present
- Recognized as a Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2012 – present
- Top Up & Comer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2011
Our clients are involved in all aspects of the construction industry, including suppliers, homeowner associations, developers, design professionals, contractors, subcontractors and manufacturers, engineers, property owners, risk insurers and sureties. Our Attorneys have worked with various aspects of construction in both public and private projects and have a deep understanding of the issues relevant to the players in this industry. Our Attorneys have ready access to the full range of resources necessary to assist our clients with any construction problem and pride themselves on knowledgeable and personalized service, always striving to achieve results in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Kelley Kronenberg is a national full-service law firm comprised of 11 offices with more than 166 lawyers. For 40 years, we have built our reputation through hard work, passion and a focus on client service. Our clients span a variety of industries and their needs encompass a wide range of legal services. We consider ourselves a one-stop-shop for your legal needs as we represent clients across more than 30 practice areas including Bankruptcy, Immigration, Employment & Labor, Business Transactions & Litigation, Nursing Home Defense, Construction and Defect Litigation, Real Estate, Family Law, Data Privacy & Security and many more. We take pride in our policies and practice of exceptional personal service, prompt reporting and commitment to fully understanding and satisfying our client’s needs. At Kelley Kronenberg, we do not try to be all things to all people. Although we provide a full spectrum of civil defense and litigation services, we believe our focus on relationships and customer service is what sets us apart from other law firms.