Michael D. Lane
Riess LeMieux, LLC
1100 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70163
Mike Lane is a partner at Riess LeMieux and focuses his practice in the area of construction law. His depth of experience in construction, insurance, and commercial disputes allows him to advise and represent clients on a wide range of legal matters. He primarily handles construction and suretyship disputes, representing owners, developers, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers.
Mike has considerable experience representing domestic and international insurers in coverage and defense of property damage and personal injury claims. His practice also includes commercial litigation, tort and casualty, product liability, and employment law.
In the construction arena, he advises clients long before a project begins until well after the work is complete. On the front end, his experience includes legal and regulatory compliance, bid disputes, and contract negotiation. Mike assists clients with pressing issues that arise during the project, such as payment disputes, workmanship issues, and unforeseen delays. If a dispute cannot be resolved amicably, he is experienced with litigation, mediation, and arbitration, including trials in state and federal court and arbitration proceedings with the American Arbitration Association.
Mike’s primary goal is to help his clients avoid costly litigation or arbitration. With his understanding of the complexities of construction, insurance, and commercial issues, he strives to provide practical advice and top-notch legal representation to his clients.
Mike assists clients on numerous types of projects, including airports, hospitals, military bases, chemical plants, shipyards, highways and bridges, office towers, hotels, condominiums, apartment complexes, public schools, restaurants, grocery stores, and museums.
- Obtained a dismissal of a personal injury suit against a general contractor on summary judgment and an award of sanctions against the plaintiff for spoliation of evidence.
- Represented a subcontractor defending against a $7 million subrogation claim brought pursuant to a Subguard policy.
- Represented three major subcontractors in a consolidated litigation involving the University Medical Center in New Orleans with claims totaling more than $40 million.
- Represented contractor on roadway construction projects involving claims for extra compensation of nearly $5 million due to unsuitable and unstable soil conditions.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing several hundred residential property damage claims against a general contractor that performed extensive drainage work in the New Orleans uptown area.
- Defended a commercial property insurer in litigation involving a condominium tower with property damage claims in excess of $25 million.
- Represented a general contractor on several apartment complex projects in Georgia and Florida in disputes with owners over payment and scope of work.
- Successfully resolved claim of more than $10 million on behalf of insulations contractor for extra work performed in industrial facility in Texas.
- Represented mechanical subcontractor in contract disputes with general contractor and federal government related to renovations of Naval and Air Force stations in the Southeast U.S.
- Defended general contractor in several trials in bankruptcy court against claims by government agencies seeking recovery of damages due to suspension of work.
- Pursued claims on behalf of an owner of a ship-building facility in southern Louisiana against general contractor for damages arising from differential settlement.
- Granted arbitration award in favor of electrical subcontractor against general contractor related to work on a public school in New Orleans.
- Successfully defended a movie theater against claims arising from property damage to a nearby restaurant caused by extensive water intrusion.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a pile-driving subcontractor related to an office building and health club project.
- Successfully mediated dispute on behalf of a developer of a nursing home in Baton Rouge for claims of defective design against an architect.
- Represented a grocery store chain in dispute involving condition of facilities sold in asset purchase agreement.
In addition to the below articles, Mike serves as a contributing editor to Under Construction and contributes periodically to The Dispute Resolver with the American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law. Mike also serves on the Louisiana Bar Journal editorial board.
- Author, Restoration of Surety’s Right to Enforce Conditional Payment Clauses on State Projects, Surety Claims Institute Newsletter, Volume 33, No. 3, September 2019
- Author, Are CM’s Now “At Risk”?, Under Construction, Vol. 20, Issue 2, December 2018
- Author, Federal Government Escapes Liability in Class-Action Seeking Recovery of Damages Caused by Hurricane Katrina, The Dispute Resolver, August 2018
- Contributor, Succession Planning – Advising Clients on Growth, Transitions, and Continuity, American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law, Annual Meeting, April 2018
- Co-Author, Proliferation of Lead-Exposure Litigation Creates New Risks for Contractors, Under Construction, Vol. 19, Issue 2, December 2017
- Author, Practice Update: Fourth Circuit Affirms Prior Decision on Premature Filing of Statements of Claim Under the Louisiana Public Works Act, New Orleans Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, April 2017
- Author, Practitioners Beware: Fourth Circuit Renders Decision on Premature Filing of Statements of Claim Under the Louisiana Public Works Act, New Orleans Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, May 2016
The attorneys of Riess LeMieux advise numerous construction industry clients, including owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and suppliers, on a wide variety of business and litigation matters. Day after day, Riess LeMieux’s Construction Law Group provides its construction-related clients with the innovative legal solutions they need to protect their interests and preserve their bottom line, including:
- Project bidding and bid disputes
- Contract negotiation, review, and counseling
- Claims and dispute resolution
- Project delivery methods
- Risk management/best practices counseling and training
- Public and private mechanics’ liens and payment disputes
- Insurance counseling and claims
- Surety bond counseling and claims
- Mediation and arbitration (as advocates and neutrals)
- Litigation and appellate work
Connected to the Construction Industry
To stay current on issues affecting our construction clients, we are active members of local, regional and national construction trade and bar associations, including:
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Construction Industry
- Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Construction Law Committee
- Louisiana Associated General Contractors
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Louisiana
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Society of Construction Law North America
We regularly present best practices and training seminars for construction clients and trade associations on topics ranging from risk management, claims avoidance, and project documentation to key contract issues, project delivery methods, and how to get paid. Each year hundreds of contractors attend our Contractor’s Law Series of seminars co-sponsored by leading construction trade associations.
Riess LeMieux, LLC provides a full range of legal services to a diverse mix of local, regional, national and international clients. Michael Riess, Christopher LeMieux, and a team of ten proven and talented attorneys offer counseling and expertise in a wide range of legal matters typically available only from larger law firms. Michael and Chris believe that offering legal services from experienced, multi-disciplinary professionals across a broad array of practice areas will ensure the firm is able to serve all of its clients’ interests and build more successful relationships founded on trust and personalized attention. The firm also prides itself on promptly responding to clients’ questions or issues as they arise. New clients are often surprised when our attorneys respond to phone calls or e-mails within hours, not days or weeks typical of other firms.
The firm has a strong general civil practice with an emphasis in commercial and construction litigation, mass tort liability, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights and reorganization, business organizations, finance and real estate, class actions and multi-district litigation, health and casualty litigation, admiralty and maritime law, personal injury, Jones Act defense, cargo and property damage and maritime financings, employment and labor law, municipal law, business torts, corporate law, commercial transactions, environmental and energy law, toxic torts, gaming law, and insurance coverage law and litigation.
The Riess LeMieux team is dedicated to effectively and economically representing the interests of its clients. Although the members of the firm have successfully tried numerous cases in state and federal court, the firm’s partners and associates actively seek to avoid or resolve disputes before litigation whenever possible. Riess LeMieux proactively addresses concerns about the increasing costs of litigation by creating the most cost-effective means of problem resolution without compromising the superior quality of its legal services. This always includes up-front budgeting and detailed case management as well as alternative billing methods.
“Day after day, Riess LeMieux’s Construction Law Group provides its construction-related clients with the innovative legal solutions they need to protect their interests and preserve their bottom line.”