Davis Bucco Makara & Dorsey
10 E 6th Avenue
Paul is a founding partner of Davis Bucco Makara & Dorsey. He has more than 30 years of experience as a civil lawyer, focusing his expertise on construction and general commercial litigation.
He has represented all construction industry participants, including owners, general contractors, subcontractors, material and equipment suppliers, architects, engineers and sureties. Paul has substantial experience in the construction and commercial arbitration process as an attorney, arbitrator and mediator. He also has extensive experience as a Master in the Court of Common Pleas of Delaware County for municipal construction industry matters.
Paul has served as a solicitor to the Associated Builders and Contractors, Pennsylvania Concrete Masonry Association, Office of Housing and Community Development Delaware County (commercial and residential divisions), Resilient Flooring Association and Concrete Cutting Association. Paul is a member of the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar Association, Delaware County Bar Association Eastern PA Chapter and the Montgomery County Bar Association.
Established in 1990, Davis Bucco Makara & Dorsey is a law firm in Philadelphia that partners with general contractors, specialty prime contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, owners, developers, construction managers, suppliers, sureties and trade associations in all matters relating to the construction industry. With a strategic and pragmatic approach, the firm applies knowledge and experience to help clients avoid problems and develop effective solutions when problems occur.
Under the leadership and development of David Davis and Paul Bucco, the firm offers decades of experience in construction, commercial litigation and labor law. With the exception of tax matters, Davis Bucco Makara & Dorsey provides all legal services your construction company may require – including: dispute avoidance, litigation, contract development, labor relations, transactions and business formation. It is our knowledge and experience that makes us a reliable and viable source for you and your business.
Our construction experience is deep and comprehensive that continues to build on our 30 years of experience. Our legal work involves a strong industry understanding developed from working for major general contractors, real estate developers, subcontractors and property owners as well as serving as municipal officials charged with regulating construction and real estate. We also have attorneys on faculty at local universities teaching construction law, real estate law, and other courses.
Litigating construction and real estate matters has also maximized our perspective and enhanced our risk management abilities in drafting and negotiating contracts and other transactional documents regularly used in the construction industry. Our representative experiences and successes includes:
- Drafting and negotiating pre-construction service agreements
- Drafting mechanic’s liens and bond claims
- Preparing delay, acceleration and active interference claims
- Negotiating prime contracts for major public and private projects, including guaranteed maximum price, stipulated sum, and fixed-price contracts
- Negotiating design build and/or design agreements
- Analyze change order disputes
- Reviewing federal and state construction contract bid specifications and requirements;
- Preparing project bids submissions, project manuals and bid protests
- Managing labor issues and disputes
- Preparing subcontractor specification packages for private and public projects
- Preparing and negotiating subcontracts and project ‘flow-down’ documents
- Payment disputes
- Reviewing prime contracts and other bidding specifications for compliance and risk management issues
- Preparing teaming agreements for federal and private projects, and
- Construction finance agreements and estoppel certificates.
We, as part of our litigation practice, also handle arbitrations, mediations and litigation in both state and federal courts in all of the above matters.