David N. Garst
Lewis, Thomason, King, Krieg & Waldrop, P.C.
424 Church Street, Suite 2500
P.O. Box 198615
Nashville, Tennessee 37219
Tel: (615) 259-1366
David N. Garst is a shareholder in Lewis Thomason’s Nashville office. He is chair of the firm’s Construction Law Practice Group and serves on the firm’s Board of Directors. Mr. Garst practices principally in construction law, focusing on architects and engineers professional liability, construction defect litigation, construction contract law, professional discipline, and commercial litigation.
For more than 30 years, Mr. Garst has represented general and specialty contractors, architects, engineers, surveyors, suppliers, and building owners on a variety of construction projects, both locally and regionally. He has substantial experience in the defense of design professionals, and has represented architects and engineers in hundreds of claims, lawsuits, arbitration matters, and disciplinary proceedings. He also has represented numerous general and specialty contractors on construction defect claims, payment disputes, liens, and disciplinary and licensing matters.
Mr. Garst is active in many construction industry organizations. He writes and edits for the Tennessee Construction Law Journal and has participated as advocate or neutral in the arbitration of many disputes.
Memberships & Affiliations:
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- The Jefferson Society
- Best Lawyers® 2020 Construction – Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” in Nashville
- Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Selected by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell as Elite Lawyer of the South, 2018
- Selected and listed in “2016 Top Rated Lawyers in Construction Law”, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rating
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America©, Construction Law – Litigation – Construction
- Best Lawyers in Nashville
- Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Fellow, Nashville Bar Foundation
- Premium Member, CLM
- Board Member Emeritus, Past President, Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel, Inc.
- Presidential Award of Excellence – AIA Tennessee (2015)
- Presidential Award of Merit for Distinguished Service – AIA Tennessee (1997)
- General Counsel, Middle Tennessee Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
- Board Member, Associated General Contractors of Tennessee, 2011 – 2013
- Elected Officer, Middle Tennessee Branch of the Associated General Contractors of America, 2008 – 2014
- Member, Tennessee Association of Plumbing, Heating and Cooling Contractors
- Member, Associated Builders and Contractors
- Member, Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers
- Professional Member, Construction Specifications Institute
- Chapter Technical Excellence Award – CSI Knoxville
- Committee Member, XL Design Professional Insurance Company Contract Guide
We have a broad and substantial construction practice with a solid record of service to the design and construction industry. Our experienced and dedicated construction practice group attorneys understand the construction industry and can help you navigate its often complex contracts and diverse relationships.
We work closely with clients to identify and solve problems arising in all phases of the construction process. We are widely recognized for our construction litigation and arbitration practice across Tennessee, and practice in all State and Federal courts.
We have defended design professionals in multimillion-dollar claims on sports arenas in Nashville, Knoxville and Memphis and in hundreds of cases of alleged professional malpractice. We have represented our contractor clients in numerous cases, involving alleged construction defects, project critical path delays, payment, differing site conditions, acceleration, lost productivity and other claims. We also represent owners and sureties in matters ranging from simple claims to major project defaults. Our experience includes significant involvement with Federal, State, and Local Government construction project disputes and claims. We also represent contractors and design professionals before their respective licensing boards in matters ranging from assistance with license applications to professional discipline hearings and appeals.
Our clients benefit from lawyers who understand the construction industry. We are active in the Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel and construction committees of the American Bar Association, as well as design and construction industry organizations such as the Associated Builders & Contractors; Associated General Contractors; American Institute of Architects; Construction Specifications Institute; Tennessee Association of Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling Contractors; and Tennessee Society of Professional Engineers.
We regularly present seminars to industry organizations and companies; are members of the American Arbitration Association and serve on its Construction Industry Panel or otherwise serve as private arbitrators; and publish the Tennessee Construction Law Journal, an online construction newsletter and our very successful construction industry blog found at http://tennesseeconstructionlawyers.com.
Lewis Thomason has a longstanding tradition of excellence and success. We provide a level of service that builds respect and establishes long-term relationships. Combining expertise with experience, our firm offers a wide range of legal services and strives to create an atmosphere of trust and communication between our clients and lawyers.
We work diligently to resolve conflicts and create enterprise opportunities for our clients. We respond to clients promptly and clearly, explaining matters in common, understandable language rather than complex legal jargon. By thoroughly meeting clients’ legal needs and taking care to avoid pitfalls that could lead to unnecessary litigation, Lewis Thomason offers exceptional representation at reasonable costs.
Our highly skilled attorneys cover the state of Tennessee and serve regional and national clients. Whether you are facing a lawsuit, struggling with a legal issue or need help with a complex business matter, we are confident that the first step to getting results is to contact us.