Todd A. Harpst
Harpst Becker LLC
1559 Corporate Woods Parkway
Uniontown, OH 44685
I am a business lawyer with 25 years of experience representing clients involved in the construction industry. In fact, I am one of the few attorneys in the Akron area who has devoted an entire career to serving the legal needs of construction industry clients. Because of this dedication, I have been selected for inclusion on the Ohio Super Lawyers list in the field of construction litigation since 2011 – an honor limited to only 5% of lawyers. I am continually involved in every aspect of our client’s business, including project delivery, construction claims, unfair competition, real estate acquisition, internal investigations, employment, mergers, contract negotiations and everything in between. When necessary, I will litigate for my clients and I have done that extensively throughout my career in both state and federal courts, as well as in binding arbitration proceedings.
As the managing member of Harpst Becker, I have deep insight into the business side of legal engagements, and I know how critical it can be to manage legal matters, especially litigation, to achieve the best business result under the circumstances. I am passionate about my advocacy within the construction industry. I am a past president and currently on the board of the Subcontractors Association of Northeast Ohio, where I have served since 2008. I also serve on the Attorney’s Council for the National Subcontractor’s Alliance, and teach Legal Aspects of Construction each semester in the College of Engineering Technology at The University of Akron.
- Business Litigation & Unfair Competition
- Construction Project Dispute Resolution Advocacy
- Construction Project Planning
- Construction Defect & Contract Claims
- The University of Akron School of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude (1996)
- The Pennsylvania State University, Behrend College, Bachelor of Arts (1992)
HONORS AND DESIGNATIONS:
- Ohio Super Lawyers – Construction Litigation (2011-Present)
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Al Carey Memorial Chairman’s Award (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Ohio Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Subcontractor’s Association of Northeast Ohio (2008-Present)
- National Subcontractor’s Alliance, Attorney’s Council Member (2008-Present)
- Senior Lecturer – University of Akron, College of Engineering Technology (2013-Present)
- Mineral City Village Solicitor (2009-2019)
- Tusky Valley Youth Baseball Softball Association, Board Member, Secretary (2015-Present)
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Northeast Ohio Chapter, Chapter Chair 2019-Present (2001-Present)
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Habitat Partner (2013-Present)
- Federal Firearms Licensee (2010-Present)
- Mineral City United Methodist Church, Board of Trustees (2006-Present)
- Tusky Valley Youth Baseball Coach (2014-2019)
Whether our clients need to pursue a claim or defend against one, Harpst Becker assembles a team of experienced and dedicated litigators licensed in Ohio, as well as multiple other states and federal court districts, to focus its entire energy on achieving the optimal client outcome. This is why we maintain an active national construction practice and partner with a vast network of construction lawyers to assist in providing legal services in states where local representation is necessary.
In the initial stages of construction, Harpst Becker lawyers help clients with:
- Project planning — Our lawyers understand the industry standard manuscript contracts and offer extensive experience with the development of custom construction contracts and construction subcontractor agreements for clients at each tier of project delivery.
- Project delivery selection — With an in-depth understanding of the risks and benefits of each delivery method, we work closely with our clients to choose the best method for their projects, and then follow through with the right set of contract documents to meet the client’s objectives.
- Subcontract negotiation and credit agreements — Harpst Becker works closely with material suppliers on credit agreements for major projects, and helps subcontractors and suppliers write deals for custom project secured financing. Our team also has experience having served on the drafting committee for a nationally recognized provider of manuscript contracts.
- Bonding — Harpst Becker maintains strong business relationships with insurance brokers and bond providers in a continued effort to assist clients in obtaining services as needed.
- Additional legal experience — The experienced construction lawyers on the Harpst Becker team serve on the board of directors of construction industry trade associations, and also teach Construction Law at The University of Akron in the College of Engineering Technology.
In the later stages of construction projects, Harpst Becker attorneys:
- Advocate for clients in all forms of dispute resolution proceedings.
- Provide extensive experience litigating construction disputes in the United States District Courts, State Common Pleas Courts, appellate courts, AAA arbitration, private arbitration and mediation settings.
Our clients benefit from our partners’ large firm and in-house corporate experience that comes with a small firm delivery system that allows us to focus on our client’s business. Most lawyers have never been in business or worked in the industries they represent — and that’s what separates us. We know what it’s like to make payroll, to manage employees, negotiate a contract, pay a legal bill, and defend against competition. At Harpst Becker, our team of lawyers has held similar positions to the clients we currently represent and we are ready to put that experience to work for you.
Each of our lawyers has a core area of practice and receives support from specialized paralegals who have 20+ years of experience of their own. Our collaborative system of client service means you get the best lawyer for your specific legal need. We agree with each client on an individualized plan to staff and address each legal matter in the best way to achieve the client’s objectives. This way, our clients always know who is accountable for the work, the fees, and, of course, the results.
Our strength comes from our clients and we understand and appreciate this. That’s why we immerse ourselves in their business, so we can counsel them on the legal challenges they face and, ultimately, provide real solutions. At Harpst Becker, our mission is to continually represent each client in every aspect of their business. By learning the client’s business, we can provide faster, more precise answers. This creates more informed decision-making and lower total legal costs over time. Much of our business comes from the long-standing clients we have been privileged to both represent and form partnerships with.