Philip S. Bubb
Fredrikson & Byron
505 E. Grand Avenue
Phil represents owners, developers, and contractors on public and private construction projects involving claims of strict liability, warranty, defect, delay and negligence. He has served as lead counsel in mediation, arbitration and litigation in both state and federal courts.
Prior to joining Fredrikson & Byron, Phil spent ten years as a commercial litigator in Atlanta, Georgia, and later served as general counsel for a start-up distillery outside Des Moines.
- Defended home builders and construction-products manufacturers against claims alleging negligent construction, negligent design and products liability.
- Composed and negotiated contracts for public and private construction projects between owners, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Represented prime contractor against city and state efforts to enforce liquidated-damages provision to withhold payment following construction delays.
- Served as trial counsel for a private developer in mediation and litigation against municipal, state and federal agencies involving eminent domain and access rights to real property.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar verdict in favor of a private company and against a municipal government for breach of a contract to privatize utility services.
- Routinely counsels contractors on procedures for filing mechanics’ liens on private projects and bond claims on public projects.
- Prosecuted claims against a roofing contractor for negligence resulting in a catastrophic fire.
Members of our Construction Group represent developers, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers and suppliers on both public and private construction projects across the Upper Midwest.
- Drafting and negotiating construction contracts and design agreements
- Resolution of construction disputes through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, trial and appeal
- Advising clients in connection with public and private construction projects
- Regulatory compliance and licensing
- Bid protests and mistakes
- Mechanic’s lien claims and litigation
- Payment and performance bond claims and litigation
- Construction insurance issues
- Delay, suspension, acceleration and disruption claims
- Defective construction claims
- Labor law, including labor disputes, negotiating collective-bargaining agreements and NLRB proceedings
- OSHA inspection, citation and dispute resolution
- Immigration and nationality law, including worksite enforcement, corporate compliance and temporary worker visas
- Land use and permitting
A proactive, problem-solving mindset runs throughout our service areas, from our traditional legal areas of support like litigation, real estate, and intellectual property to our more consultative practices like government relations and health care consulting. It’s a mindset that enables us to understand and keep client objectives firmly in mind, and to anticipate and address problems before they arise.
Our lawyers blend a common sense approach with in-the-field experience, and we utilize our firm’s strong reputation and our lawyers’ broad networks of business and industry contacts to get things done for clients.
Clients have relied on us since 1948 for great solutions that help them minimize legal risks and maximize business benefits. We look forward to an opportunity to show you what it is like where law and business meet.